The Boxing Day Test: Australia v India?
For sports fans, the anticipation of Boxing Day morning rivals Christmas morning, and this year is no exception as these two teams face off at the MCG.
- Explore the city by bike. Hire a set of wheels from your nearest Melbourne Bike Share station — there’s 50 of them scattered around town — and cycle alongside the Yarra River, taking in the glorious views of Southbank, the sports precinct and, of course, the CBD.
- Quench your thirst on a tour with Aussie Beer Tours. The Melbourne Urban Beer Odyssey tour will see you and your mates going behind the scenes and downing pints at spots like Moon Dog Brewery, The Mill Brewery or Brunswick Street Cider House.
- Rock out at Cherry Bar, Melbourne’s legendary dive bar on AC/DC Lane. It’s the spot that local and international musicians hang out after their shows, so you know it’s good.
Myer Christmas Windows?
It’s a Melbourne tradition that ties in perfectly with a Christmas shopping trip. Check them out at Myer Bourke Street until 6 January.
- Take a trip to Melbourne Zoo. There’s no better time to take the family to visit the exotic and native animals than when the weather’s warm. Make sure you stop by to see the seals lounging in the sun.
- Enjoy a movie at IMAX Cinema at Melbourne Museum. Take a break to cool off and to enjoy a blockbuster flick or documentary on the huge 23-metre-high screen.
- Tuck in at +39 Pizzeria. Even if you have picky eaters in your tribe, you can’t go wrong with some of the city’s best wood- fired delights.
Experience the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons at the Regent Theatre this February and sing along with memorable songs, including ‘Sherry’ and ‘December 1963 (Oh, What a Night)’. You know you want to!
- Delve a little deeper into Melbourne with the help of Hidden Secrets Tours. Your guide will share insider tips on where to eat, the history behind the city’s stunning architecture and stories of times gone by.
- Explore the wonders of the Nicholas Building. Its facade is enough to impress, but inside you’ll find a hive of creativity. Browse the unique boutiques, gallery spaces and more.
- Share a delicious meal with your loved one at Armenian restaurant, Sezar. Enjoy plates of spiced beef cheek or steamed barramundi, then go halves in a baklava with toffee ice-cream and salted caramel.
Have you heard about the free ways to get around town?
It’s easy to get about town thanks to the Free Tram Zone. To learn more, visit melbournenow.com.au/free-travel.